Friday, March 2, 2012

My Journey

OK, so there is this wonderful place on the web called Google +. I'm sure that you've heard of it but it's quite possible that you really don't "get it".  For me, it has been nothing sure of awesome.  I started during beta and met the most amazing people. So many of us were excited about "meeting" new people and with the hangout feature it was like we really were in the same room sometimes.  So many of us began talking and sharing and listening. We inspire, get inspired and just in general continue to grow.  I rediscovered my love for photography and have not looked back.  Every week, if not most days, I take out my camera. Sometimes it is the HTC Amaze that has recently blown me away with it's capability. But sometimes it's my trusty Canon Eos Rebel (yes the first one) with it's extended lens and macro adapter. And that is what brings me here.

I met the incredible Ron Clifford pretty close to launch. I immediately knew that I was dealing with a kind, giving, super talented individual. I have not been disappointed.  So when Ron recently was selected to be a mentor in a 8 week program designed to help what I call "wannabe" photographers reach the next level of their growth I knew I wanted in.  So after I stopped squealing and running around like a 5 year old in Toys R Us I filled out my form.  Needless to say I was both shocked and overjoyed when I was one of the 6 selected to participate. And let me tell you these people inspire me every day. I would say that at least 60%, if not more, of the people that I have circled are photographers or artists of some kind.  So to be given this opportunity to take my art to the next level is just so exciting for me.

I feel like all of these wonderful people always take me to the next level. This blog was transformed today because of one of those, Nicole Burgoz made a post today on her blog (which was when I discovered it) and it made me want to do it again. I thought what a great way to follow her photography journey at the same time that I'm going on mine.  So instead of napping (yes I'm sick and really need to rest and kick this thing) I used my time on the couch to create. Why? Because that is what this amazing community of Google+ does for me. It pushes me to be better. I'm OK with that.

So, my first post here includes the reveal of my first photo.





 To start this mentorship we have to choose one photograph that we feel describes where we are in our journey.  I think it's a bit of a two sided story for me. I really love this shot. I think I did a good job of capturing it, it sort of speaks to me and it feels a bit like me. It is a brittle leaf, after it's journey through life getting ready to start a new journey of rebirth. I am 40 years old, recently divorced, recently met the man of my dreams. I have worked for 20 years in the TV field and though I'm continuing I feel like it is my storytelling journey that has now begun. My photography is taking off. My stories are waiting to be told. Wether through moving or still imagery. It is a new journey. Thank you all at Google for taking it with me. Thank you for your inspiration, your support and your love. You all know who you are and I will try to remind you every week.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. an inspiring post by an inspiring woman! I am looking forward to continuing on this journey that started so few months ago. It has been amazing hasn't it!

      Delete
  2. Way inspiring and straight from the heart. Best of luck :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much to both of you :) Ron, it's amazing that it's only been a few months

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so wonderful reading your post because of how I can relate to it. Here's a little bio that will explain it better.

    I am 72 years old. I am a prostate cancer survivor. 3 year anniversary June 2012. I was very involved in photography in the 70's when it was film and darkrooms. I won't bore you with the details of the last 40 years, suffice it to say I am back to photography. The learning curve will be unbelievable but that's good...Keeps the brain working... Never to late to learn.

    So... It's a pleasure to meet you and to be involved in this journey you are on.

    Peter Zurla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter, thank you so much for the feedback. And major high fives for beating the C word! I'm so glad that you are finding your photography again. Please find me on G+ and say hello so that I can be inspired by you as well. And I agree 100%...we are never to "young" to learn :)

      Delete
  5. Aww, you are indeed wonderful and can express the feel for this all much better than I.
    I am glad I have found you via this program.
    I love how inspiration blossoms / sparks at G+.
    I have been on so many different communities over the past 8 years, been blogging since years (my oldest blog got blasted due to my own stupidity though), have met great people along the way.
    But nothing has been like this.

    I am also glad that you found the man of your dreams!
    Just as a sidenote =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad too :) And so looking forward to the mentoring program. Thanks for visiting and commenting

      We are so gonna rock this thing!

      Delete